Monday, April 30, 2012

How i busted through my weight loss plateau

Alicia Reich 27 had lost 78 pounds over the last year and a half but coudnt budge the scale below 150 fitness gave it the right nudge and showed her how to break out of her weight-loss

Getting the scale to move

The game plan
For eight weeks my support team would help me do what i hadnt manged to in six months jump-start my motivation and shed those last stubborn pounds
The goal
id come a long way since my 25th birthday when i weighd 230 pounds and had the chronic aches of someone three times older i gave up being vegetarian trading bread and pasta galore for chicken and fish and began jogging one New York city block at a time within a year and  a half i worked up to running 13 miles and dropped down to 152 pounds thats where the scale stalled for months and months then i wrote to fitness

My new to-do list
1- think small: until i consulted with weight-loss expert madelyn i couldnt understand why my 1200 calories a day diet wasnt working she said my body would resume losing weight when it sensed it wasnt in starvation mode Madelyn had me eat snacks throughout the day like sliced turkey rolls and fruite to stoke my metabolism oddly when i ate 1700 calories daily the pounds started to come off
2-Be an easy strider: i had singed up for a marathon to inspire myself to run farther but i bonked out at 13 miles my trainer Monica taught me energy-saving tricks to help me push past my roadblock i stopped shrugging my shoulders as i ran and i intrespersed walk breaks-run five walk one for example-so that long runs werent so psychologically taxing soon i did a 16-mile run which was a huge mental boost
3-EAT to win: my dietitan Mary jane quickly figured out that i wasnt consuming nearly enough carbs to last through my increasing mileage i was so focused on weight loss that  i skimped on calories especially those from carbs id learned at a medical checkup last year that i had an intolerance to gluten a  component of many grains Mary jane had me add gluten free carbs-beans potatoes dried fruit and rice to my meals and it made all the difference

The results
Not only did i loss 11 pounds and finally cross the 150 pound mark but i also crossed the finish line at my first marathon the best part of all was ditching the deprivation diet which was only holding me back i know that the closer i get to my ultimate 135-pound goal the tougher it will be but now i have the healthy tools to make it



No comments:

Post a Comment